Having your wisdom teeth removed is sort of a right of passage. Not everyone needs to have theirs removed, but many people do. Wisdom teeth usually come in or start to cause problems in young adulthood, usually between the ages of 16 and 20. It is common for many teenagers to have them removed in the summer between high school and college.
As a parent planning this procedure for your teen, you probably have some questions, such as how much does wisdom teeth removal cost on the Upper West Side? It depends on a variety of factors.
Average Cost of Wisdom Teeth Extraction
The cost to remove wisdom teeth varies greatly depending on the situation. It can be as low as a few hundred dollars per tooth to a few thousand dollars for having all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time. Your oral surgeon will give you an estimate based on the following factors.
Factors that Affect the Cost
The cost of wisdom teeth removal varies from one patient to another and one location to another. Here are the main variables:
- The position of the teeth. Whether or not the teeth have come in or are still below the gums may affect the cost to remove them. If they are impacted, meaning they are pushing against the roots of the teeth next to them, they will be more difficult to remove, which increases the cost.
- The type of anesthesia used. The type and amount of anesthesia used for wisdom teeth removal depends on the position of the teeth and how difficult it will be to extract them, as well as the patient’s preference. Some cases may only require local anesthesia, but in many cases IV sedation is recommended, which will raise the total cost of the procedure.
- Your insurance. If your oral surgeon is in-network with your dental insurance provider, you will most likely pay less for wisdom teeth removal. In-network providers have pre-negotiated a lower rate so that you pay less out of pocket for procedures.
- The location of your oral surgeon’s office. Geographic location plays a part in the cost of living in an area, and that includes dental and medical care. You’ll likely receive a higher quote for wisdom teeth removal in a large city with a high population density than in a smaller town or rural area.
- Your oral surgeon’s level of experience. Experience matters in the field of dentistry and oral surgery. If your oral surgeon has many years of experience and is highly qualified to practice dental surgery, you may be quoted a higher price. Many patients agree that better quality care is worth a higher price.
Is Wisdom Teeth Removal Really Necessary?
You may be wondering why so many patients have their wisdom teeth removed. Why can’t the teeth just stay in place?
For some people, their wisdom teeth come in just fine with plenty of room and cause no problems whatsoever. But for many others the wisdom teeth cause dental and orthodontic issues.
If there’s not enough room in the jaw for the wisdom teeth to come in properly they can become impacted. That means that they are stuck underneath the gums or don’t come in properly. For some they come in at the wrong angle. For others they stay below the gums and push against the roots of the molars next to them.
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause all sorts of problems, such as:
- Damage to the neighboring teeth. The impacted wisdom teeth can wear away the roots or damage the teeth next to them.
- Damage to the jaw. Impacted wisdom teeth can put unnecessary pressure on the jaw bone, causing damage and pain.
- Cavities. Damage to the neighboring teeth makes them more susceptible to cavities.
- Gum inflammation. The gums around the impacted wisdom teeth may become irritated and inflamed, which can result in gum disease.
- Teeth misalignment. Crowded wisdom teeth can push the other teeth out of alignment.
- Sinus problems. Upper wisdom teeth can put pressure on the sinuses and cause pain and congestion.
The bottom line is that having problematic wisdom teeth removed can prevent all sorts of dental issues. Some dentists recommend removing them before they can become a problem.
Upper West Side Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Provides Wisdom Teeth Removal
If you’re looking for an oral surgeon with plenty of experience in wisdom teeth removal, visit Upper West Side Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr. Park is a skilled oral surgeon who can remove your wisdom teeth in the least invasive way possible for a faster recovery.