Instructions for Anesthesia
Please read these instructions carefully, and call the office if you have any questions.
PRIOR TO SURGERY:
- Provide our office with a list of doctors you see and medications you take. If you take routine oral medications, please check with the doctor prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Inform us if you have had an adverse effect under sedation in the past or use/abuse narcotics of any kind.
- Prior to the day of surgery, if you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office. We may need to reschedule your appointment.
- We recommend that you stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery. Smoking can inhibit healing and recovery.
DAY OF SURGERY:
- Do not eat or drink (including water) for at least eight hours prior to the appointment.
- Do not smoke for at least 12 hours before surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- Wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Remove contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures at the time of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, and remain in the office during the procedure. The
adult must drive the patient home.
- Do not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.